Wednesday, September 5, 2007

New blog, new place

After two years of talking about it, we are finally getting a laminate floor through the house.

Well, through the house, but not bedrooms. Wih 10 children, 9 at home, we need something tougher than carpet. LOTS easier to clean too.

So, this is my optimist blog. The one where all the good things happen in my improved sewing room, no to be known as the Studio.

I say improved because presently, it's a mess. Having to clear EVERYTHING out gives me a chance to start again.

I am only putting back what I love, the rest is destined for ebay, give away or garbage. My aim is to get enough "me money" to buy a second hand short arm machine set-up

There. I have put my goal up in public.

Now all I have to do is work like blazes to achieve it.

Try not to buy any more fabric. A lot of what I have has ben bought over the last fifteen years I don't love any more. The rest is just too much, it give me an anxiety attack over thinking about it.

I have a bunch of blocks from when bus-boy was born........he's 15 in a week or so.

So, without further ado, I am going back to the studio............to cull.

4 comments:

Lazy Gal Tonya said...

ten? Oye. I've fallen out of love with a lot of my fabric as well. I used to love prints and now I definitely lean towards solids and solidy looking things. oh well. good luck with the organizing.

Finn said...

Hi Christine, thanks for stopping by over at the Orphan Train and leaving a comment!
I say GOOD FOR YOU!!! Getting it together and doing something that is just for YOU! I love The Studio idea.
As for 'vintage'(...LOL...) I think we all have the 'stuff' that we have brought over years and years. Actually it is quite often good for backings. I've been using some of mine to crochet the rugs and baskets I've been making this past year.
If you absolutely NEED the space, I'd say 'move it on', but if you can find a corner box or bin, I'd say leave the bigger pieces til you see what backing you might need.
As for the older set of blocks? Well, they are new 'orphans' as of now..and they can be whatever you want them to be without any expectation! One of the kids is bound to love having the first quilt to come out of Mom's new Studio!
Hang in there, don't get discouraged. It'll be a work in progress for awhile. Hugs, Finn

keryn said...

I've found Ebay to be really profitable, and I intend to keep on culling. The enthusiasm of the buyers is amazing! Vintage stuff has a real following.

Are you a scquilter? That helps when you want to get rid of things.

Good luck with your plans; I can't even imagine a house with 9 kids in it, I need photos.... But you need never wonder what to do with the next finished quilt; there will always be someone to give it to.

mereth said...

I hope the new studio is everything you want it to be and more. There's nothing like a good rearrangement of your stuff to make you enthused and creative.Make the most of your sorting and organising.
Like you I tend to feel sorry for the things that no-one else wants and insist that I can nurse the dying potplant back to life, feed the stray cat, mend the split seam in the bargain pants.That's how I end up with so much stuff!