Saturday, February 16, 2008

Am I REALLY a Headcase??

I bought the latest issue of Australian Patchwork and Quilting Magazine.

It has a wonderful Hexagon quilt on the cover

Scroll down the page, a slightly better picture of the quilt and a description are there

10,339 half-inch Hexagons

I had a few remnants of 30's repro's.....ones that I actuall like and use. How hard can this quilt be? I have done English-Style paper piecing before.......

Do you know HOW SMALL the templates are??? Half an inch on each side. A smidge more than my thumb nail.........


I found a site that offers free hex shaped graph paper. I have printed off four sheets (so far) for my own "Insanity"


These are the units I have put together.

The left hand picture is the start of the centre of the quilt. There are 158 'lozenge' shaped units in total.

I have 9 together, and nine waiting to go in (18).

*Only* 140 to go. Then there is the white border, the solid border and the scrappy border.

I will be "hexing" for a LOOONG time

As a small aside....http://www.suedaleydesigns.typepad.com/ mentions the quilt on her blog.

Seems there are LOADS of orders for half inch EPP pieces at her website!!!

Ths quilt looks to be the "Next Big Thing"

In other quilty news (yes, I am SEWING) I have my units together for the "Carolina Crossroads" Quilt, (link in the side bar) and I participated in Bonnie Hunter's "Bargello Bowl", but I am still to put the icon up.

......and on a TOTALLY manic day, I have entered TWO!! quilts into the local AG show......um, they are not completely pieces yet, and are due at the showgrounds NEXT Friday!!

BUT...... (justification here) I will have used almost all of my Thimbleberries Stash.

Gratitudes

having $$ to but a magazine
the fabric to begin a new quilt
DH who (hopefully) fixed "Ethel"
blogger friends
the kits are behaving today

ps......if anyone would like to contribute 30's fabrics, I need either 7" squares or fat sixteenths (9 x 11 inches) I should be ale to find either fabrics or Aust. mags to swap!

....and no, DJ isn't forgotten, I just have to cut for more blocks, they reqire more concentration than basting hex's

4 comments:

Lissa Jane said...

Insanity, yep that quilt is aptly named.. not in this lifetime for this little black duck!



Lissa

sue daley said...

Hi Christine,
Your 1/2" hex quilt is looking great.
I have done a 1" hex quilt it had about 4,000 hexagons in it. The biggest job for me was sewing it together. I must put a picture on my blog. Have a great day, Sue Daley

Phyl said...

Christine,

I, too, battle depression. If you would like someone to talk to please email me...blogger id is my email addy.

Hugs...

Debbie said...

Oh, your insanity quilt is looking good already! I still haven't decided what colors to use in mine. And yes, these little hexagons are addictive!